The City of Canton has established ordinances that provide directions on the use and maintenance of residential property. The West Park Neighborhood Association will be periodically including articles in our newsletter in order to assist residents in better understanding and being aware of these laws. The first of these articles will discuss the maintenance standards for owner-occupied residential structures. Later articles will cover the parking and storage of motor vehicles, enforcement procedures, rental property and sidewalks.
Residential Housing Maintenance Standards
This ordinance covers residential and accessory structures and surrounding property areas. Accessory structures include porches, decks, detached garages, sheds, fences and walls.
- Exterior walls and surfaces of houses and accessory structures must be free from holes, breaks, open cracks or loose or rotting material and must be properly surface coated to prevent deterioration.
- Foundation walls must be maintained free from open cracks and breaks and shall be in a condition adequate for the prevention of rodents or other pests entering the dwelling.
- Roofs, flashings and chimneys must be structurally safe and maintained free from holes, breaks, open cracks, loose, rotting or deteriorated shingles, nests of any kind and be weatherproof. Chimneys, T.V. towers, antennas and dishes must be structurally safe and sound and in good repair.
- All residential structures must have gutters, leaders or downspouts which must be securely fastened and free from holes, breaks or loose or rotting materials and in good working condition.
- All windows and doors shall be in sound condition. If screens or other mesh material cover the windows or doors, they must be in good repair or removed.
- Surrounding property areas must be clean, safe and sanitary.
- Trees, shrubs, and cultivated flowers and gardens must be reasonably groomed and maintained so as not to interfere with the use of the public right-of-way or pose a threat of damage to adjoining property owners.
- Grasses and weeds must not exceed 8 inches in height.
- Exterior property areas must be free of any accumulation of rubbish, garbage or junk.
- There shall not be an accumulation or storage of personal property or equipment in exterior property areas. This includes lawn mowers, bicycles, toys, tools, machinery, auto parts, home appliances, and unused or discarded construction materials.
Any questions or complaints may be addressed to James Moraghan who is the Code Enforcement Officer for the Northwest region of the city. His direct number is 330 438-4720.